Your defense against the winter blues – 40 ways to feel happy
Do you ever find yourself a little more “bummed” or down during the winter months?
I do. Something about the shorter days and colder weather definitely has a negative effect on my mood and energy.
Every year around this time, I make it a point to remind myself to incorporate more things that make me happy into my day.
One practice that I have all my clients create is a personalized nourishment menu. It’s a list of happy-inducing-activities that bring joy to their lives. A list of actions they can take if they’re in need a pick me up.
And it works! This practice makes the winters a thousand times better and is guaranteed to bring joy every single day!
My challenge for you is to make your own customized personalized nourishment menu to use this winter.
- List out at least 10 actions that bring you happiness.
- Place your list somewhere you’ll see every day as a reminder to incorporate at least 1 or 2 into each day.
This will become your defense against the winter blues.
To provide you with some inspiration, I’ve compiled my own list of 40 Ways to Feel Happy. Feel free to swipe some of these if they resonate with you.
My good friend actually took this list and created a happiness calendar for December. And guess what? She generously agreed to share with you! Find the link to download the pdf at the bottom of the page.
40 Ways to Feel Happy
Inspiration for your personalized nourishment menu
- Take a long, warm shower
- Make a gratitude list – a list of at least 3 things in your list you are grateful for. Don’t stop at 3 if you find yourself flooded with ideas of blessings
- Book an appointment for a massage or facial
- Indulge in dark chocolate, a latte, or your favorite treat
- Surprise a friend. You could check out the card isle and pick out one that would be perfect for your friend.
- Buy yourself flowers
- Go to bed early- being well rested increases your mood
- Rock a fabulous pair of sunglasses. You’ll see the world a little differently in your sunglasses. Bonus: help protects your eyes
- Get out into nature – go for a hike, take a walk around the block
- Hire someone to clean your house (treat yourself at least once – it’s definitely worth it!)
- Relax in a warm bath
- Do something thoughtful for a neighbor or co-worker – make them cookies or a treat, offer to mow their lawn or shovel their snow. It can be rewarding to see the smile on their face
- Snuggle with your favorite furry friend or loved one
- Read a new book or a good magazine
- Dance to your favorite happy songs (you could listen to Spotify’s “happy” playlist)
- Plan a night out (or in) with friends
- Visit a new town
- Wrap yourself in warm blanket or sweater straight from the dryer
- Create a vision board
- Share your goals and dreams- not only does it help reinvigorate your soul when you talk about your passions but it also makes you much more likely to achieve
- Cook a meal – maybe that recipe you’ve found on Pinterest (or on my site 🙂 ) and have been dying to make. Make it with some extra TLC and enjoy without distractions
- Call a friend just to say hi
- Journal about your day
- Smile- just the simple act of smiling can release feel good hormones
- Plan an adventure for an upcoming weekend
- Make a connection – even if it’s just with the person waiting in line behind you at the grocery store, connecting with other people improved our overall happiness
- Drink a green smoothie or juice
- Take a yoga class – for me, yoga is the ultimate balance example of mind, body, & spirit. Exercise and meditation in one
- Cook dinner for friends or your significant other
- Try a new group fitness class or boot-camp
- Take deep breaths
- Watch a funny movie
- Take a class – cooking, photography, sewing, language, dance, Desire Map
- Compliment a friend
- Say “I love you”
- Try a new food
- Write yourself a love letter- think of at least 5 things you love about yourself- loving and accepting yourself is the first step to true happiness
- Set an intention for your day and live the day deliberately
- Do something nice for a stranger
- Do something nice for yourself